Sunday, January 31, 2016

Theme 02: Nalyn - Week 01

Let's start at the beginning: I'm tired. I'm very, very tired, and have two long workweeks ahead of me: three days work, one day home, 7 days work. I'll say it already: chances are slim there'll be an update next week. I'm working Saturday through Friday, two switches in three days' time (shift late-early-late-early), and stress at work is through the roof due to situations. I decided for myself that, if the situation is to perdure, I'm not staying past my third temporary contract. I'm done. I've given more than enough of myself. And I wouldn't see the point in staying since the 4th contract would be the last one anyway, so, I'd rather take a headstart if one is required. I hope it won't be, but at the same time, this hope is tied in with another's misery, so I don't really know what to feel or think. I'm not one to walk over corpses. Except literary corpses <<

And speaking of which, we've reached theme 2 :D I'm still stuck in Aneskia's writing with that annoying scene, and decided I'm gonna go and chapterize another writing to get my juices flowing again. This week's character is.... *drumroll despite his name being mentioned in the title*

Nalyn

<3 this pic still

Who is Nalyn?
A difficult question to answer, in the sense that Nalyn has been many things in his long, long life; he has seen much, experienced much, and paradoxically knows very little, for he has been trapped since childhood in a tidal wave of sorrow, trauma and death. He is a strong man physically, vulnerable of mind, as he has carried for centuries the weight of a broken childhood that haunts him to this day.

Nalyn is an Elshir - a race of Elves with colourful manes and diverse magical prowess. The Elshir are known for their thirst for war and conquest, and their prominently male population. In such a limited environment, crime and illegal activities are the only way to get by - a plague in the Elshir society, which is contained by forcing arrested criminals -the poor and noble alike- to serve in the Elshir army and thicken the fodder ranks.

And it is so that Nalyn, an orphaned child turned to vice in order to survive, a betrayed young man turned to crime and violence in a society that allowed him no room to breathe, was forcefully recruited into the Elshir army, where he would experience the best years of his life.
But they were not to last.

Nalyn and the Novel
One might wonder: why did I choose such a character to become TAoS's second protagonist? The answer is simple: I looked through all the characters available to me (which are many), and he was the only one whom I might get in Aneskia's area in a logical fashion for the start of the novel. Aneskia will need a strong hand to protect her - and Nalyn needs a strong mind to protect him from himself. Her ability to sense emotions, which will evolve after being wounded, might allow her to try and help Nalyn move past his traumas. Big 'might'. But these differences, and the things they have in common (devotion and loyalty), will make them a perfect partnership. I love these two. As of yet I'm not sure how to get them together and on their way, but ideas will come as I develop the Human Empire further, and discover how many threats are on certain people's heels.

As things currently stand, this story remains the way they met. How they'll end up teaming up, however, has still to be written.

Anything else?
Feel free to ask ^^ now I shall go and chapterize Nalyn's life story.

No comments:

Post a Comment